Thursday, April 10, 2008

20 years down the rabbit hole...

The summer of 1989...i was 12. My parents were going to a garage sale. I had nothing better to do so i went with them. I was looking at the tables full of someone's used junk...clown lamps, velvet unicorn paintings, stained tupperware...the usual garage sale fare. I was pacing, waiting for my parents, and thats when i saw it...a brand new (well, almost brand new) copy of Marvel comics What if: #7. It was called What if Wolverine was an agent of Shield and the art and cover were done by Rob Liefeld. It was a quarter, i had to have it and i was well on my way to becomming one of the most pathetic, mis-understood beings on the planet...

a comic book fan.

This was the first comic i bought and i couldnt wait to get home and read it. I read it several times that day, each time seeing something new on each page. I showed it to my parents and demanded that they take me to the local comic book store to track down any and all issues of any comic drawn by Rob Liefeld.

At the time, Liefeld didnt have many books out...only a handful actually but i bought them all.
Over the years, i followed Liefelds career very closely from DC to Marvel to Image and I bought every single book that his name has appeared in. Liefelds books have introduced me to other comic greats such as Frank Miller, Karl Altstaetter, Jim Lee among many others. Once i read something by a comic book artist/writer that i really like, I have to own everything else that they have worked on. Im compulsive like that. No one draws like Liefeld, no one. His art jumps off the page, the borders can barly contain the art and energy. His designs and creativity are unmatched.

As I got older, I have been able to go to comic conventions and meet some of the creators that I admire so much although there are still quite a few i have yet to meet. Mr. Liefeld is one of the nicest people i have ever met. period. He really goes out of his way for his fans.

I have now been reading and collecting comics for almost 20 years now and have loved every minute of it. I have been introduced to such superteams as Youngblood, Bloodstrike, the Avengers, the X-men and the Wildcats. Characters like Daredevil, Bullseye, Captain America, MoonKnight and Colossus.

Im 30 years old and I will read comics books until the day i die.

These past 20 years of being a comic book fan have been so rewarding and have been the most surreal, facinating, interesting and exciting times of my life.

this is one of what will be many posts about comic books.

No comments: